News Go

News & articles

Aaron Hernandez Hanged Himself in Prison, Officials Say

Mr. Hernandez was housed in a single cell in the general prison population, the statement said. The assistant deputy commissioner of communications, Christopher Fallon, told The Associated Press that officials had not been concerned that Mr. Hernandez was a suicide risk. He also said no suicide note had been found. The case will be investigated by the state police.

Mr. Hernandez’s suicide came on the day some of his former teammates would be visiting the White House to celebrate their recent Super Bowl victory.

Mr. Hernandez, 27, was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the murder of Odin L. Lloyd, who was dating the sister of Mr. Hernandez’s fiancée, Shayanna Jenkins. He had appealed the verdict.

The body of Mr. Lloyd, a 27-year-old semiprofessional football player, was found, shot six times, in June 2013 in a pit at an industrial park near Mr. Hernandez’s home in North Attleboro, Mass. Mr. Hernandez’s motive in that case, prosecutors said, was that Mr. Lloyd spoke with people Mr. Hernandez did not like at a bar in Boston.

Mr. Hernandez was found not guilty just last Friday in a second murder case, a drive-by shooting of two people in Boston in 2012.

Mr. Hernandez was born on Nov. 6, 1989, and grew up in a tough neighborhood in Bristol, Conn., and played at the University of Florida, where he was chosen the country’s best tight end. He also ran into trouble there, getting into a bar fight and testing positive for marijuana.

He was a fourth-round N.F.L. draft pick by the Patriots, after many teams passed on him, leery of his reputation.

Teamed with another star, Rob Gronkowski, Mr. Hernandez gave the Patriots a tight end combo that was second to none. He played three years in the N.F.L., catching 175 passes for 18 touchdowns. He played in one Super Bowl, in 2012, catching a team-high eight passes in a 21-17 loss to the Giants. He signed a $40 million contract extension in 2012 to continue playing for the Patriots.

In 2013, Mr. Hernandez and Mr. Lloyd began dating sisters, and the two men socialized together. In June 2013, at a Boston nightclub, Mr. Hernandez became angry with people Mr. Lloyd was talking with. Investigators said that Mr. Hernandez might have suspected that Mr. Lloyd was talking with them about the double murder case that Mr. Hernandez was eventually acquitted of.

Though no murder weapon was found, and no witness to the shooting of Mr. Lloyd came forward, prosecutors built a circumstantial case tying Mr. Hernandez to the killing.

Mr. Hernandez’s fiancée, Ms. Jenkins, spoke of a box that she said Mr. Hernandez instructed her to remove from their house and discard the day after Mr. Lloyd’s body was found. She also said Mr. Hernandez called her from the police station and asked her to give some money to Ernest Wallace, a friend who would eventually also be charged in the killing.

It was enough for the jury,…

Read the full article from the Source…

Back to Top